Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Home Design Inspiration

Hey my lovelies!

Happy hump day to you all. Hope it's not too much of a hard week for you so far.

Today I am talking about my ridiculously outrageous need to re-decorate my home all the time! With that being said - I am more often than not an all talk & no action type of person, as my decorative desires are often outweighed by the lack of funding I have to fulfil them. This however fails to stop me in my endeavours and I still spend hours researching designs and creating decor mood boards.

So... on that note, I thought I would share one of my recent creations and inspirations for my livingroom which I currently plan (a term I use loosely) on redecorating:


Ok so first let me explain the colour inspiration. 

I'm a bit of a nut for New York - despite never having had the opportunity to visit the place. I think it stemmed from my love of the tv show Friends (despite later learning that the show was in fact filmed in LA). I instantly loved everything about it. The culture, the people, the yellow cabs, the buildings as tall as the eye can see. I loved everything about it. I love the idea that the city never sleeps - that you can get Chinese take-out food at 4am. That you can walk past grates shooting steam 6ft into the air. I loved everything. So it should be no surprise to you that I have hung pictures and artistic portrayals of NYC on my livingroom walls for years. However, I recently discovered a tremendous little website called I Love Wallpaper that is dedicated to providing its customers with the most artistic and diverse array of wallpapers you can imagine.

I scrolled through pages and pages of wonderfully different wallpaper & initially had my heart set on a brick wall effect, but instead I found a black & white collage of NYC with only the colour of the yellow cabs being showcased, and I fell in love! So I had found my colour palette... Shades of grey & yellow. 

Then I began looking at flooring. I knew I wanted Laminate not only because I wanted a change from always having had a carpet in my livingroom, but because I have 2 very mucky dogs who love nothing more than dragging dirt all through the house. Therefore it was an aesthetic and practical choice. 

My initial thoughts on flooring was a dark wood - something quite brown that would go with the yellow pops of colour, but I came across an oak coloured laminate that was quite worn and dishevelled looking that I thought would be perfect. This again was found on a fab website called Floors Direct which offers an abundance of flooring options for those looking for wooden options. 

So I have my wallpaper & I have my floor - so there's nothing left to do but accessorize with home furnishings and textiles! Which for me is the most fun part of it all, exploring online stores like Ikea, The Range, Achica and World Stores.

So that's my livingroom design inspiration.I hope my rambling wasn't too boring and perhaps you were inspired to create your own mood boards for future decorating plans. 

Take care my lovelies. x

2 comments:

  1. Love the lamp. I have it in my bedroom in purple :-)

    Julia
    http://stilblume.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are the first to comment on my blog! Thank you so much for reading! I love that lamp! You have fab taste! 😊 x

      Delete