Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Snap Happy Tuesday - Kids

Hey there lovely people!

Today is another post about some of my previous photo-shoots. It's a big deal to me for there to be a dedicated spot on my blog to showcase my love of photography and therefore my job. I don't think many people can say honestly, that they love their job... but I am certainly one of them. I believe that photographs are the the proof of our lives and the connection to our past. I know that in this day and age of technology, there are so many ways to connect and communicate, but I genuinely believe that nothing does that better than a photograph. 

Anyway, enough of the rambling and more of the sharing. 


ISO 400 - 50mm (50mm lens) - f/1.8 - 1/125 sec

This is little Mikael. He is 2 years old, so is technically still a baby and therefore should have been included in last weeks post. I for one, think that it's quite difficult to tell exactly what age little Mikael is in this picture, which is therefore why I included it. Shooting him was a very different experience from any other 2 year old I've had in front of the camera. He was very stubborn in terms of giving me a smile... but ended up being one of the shoots I'm most proud of. I think a lot of mum's and dad's, get really stressed out about getting their children to smile for the camera in order to get that smiley, happy photo. However, I firmly believe that these types of photographs can often end up the most beautiful and vulnerable. There's so much more of a story in these images than that of a run-of-the-mill smiley one.


ISO 400 - 37mm (18-55mm lens) - f/4.5 - 1/30 sec

Let me introduce you to my cousins children, Leon (top) and Brendan (bottom). I had to include this photo simply because it makes me smile. Brendan, the older of the 2 is such a laid back and quiet little soul, whereas Leon is just absolutely wild. So when I suggested this pose to Brendan he was quite embarrassed and hesitant about the idea and I think that shows in his little face. Whereas as soon as he lay down, Leon just jumped on top, no prompts, just jumped onto of his brother and started making horsey noises. It was just soooo funny that every time I look at this photo I relive the entire moment. This is a perfect example of my believe that photography is a way of "capturing precious, funny & irreplaceable moments". This certainly fits the bill. 

ISO 200 - 32mm (18-55mm lens) - f/4.5 - 1/30 sec

This is little Emma. She and her mum came along for a shoot, together with Emma's friend and her mum. She was quite the little character - a typical girly girl giving me all her poses. It was an absolute joy to photograph her. Not to mention how adorable she is... especially in that denim dungarees! It's so fun for me, when I get a client who just loves to be in front of the camera, because the joy in their face is just so evident. They are always super enthusiastic to pose and get into any position you suggest that any level of stress I might feel, just slips away and it becomes just an absolute pleasurable job to do.


ISO 200 - 28mm (18-55mm lens) - f/4 - 1/60 sec

Meet Zain and Isaah. They are the adorable boys of Diya, one of my lovely clients who came to me wanting some good family photographs after having been let down with photographers in the past. They were a lovely family and were very smiley and enthusiastic clients throughout, even Diya's husband (which is very unusual for the men I normally shoot). So the reason I chose to show you this image is because I just wanted to show that even though both of the boys aren't facing the lens, it's still a lovely image. Like I said before, parents tend to get very stressed out behind the scenes trying to get their children to look as good as possible on camera and this includes trying to get them to look the right way. Often this is just out of the question. Kids are so easily distracted, so it can be quite a chore to get their little eyes looking the right way. However, I think you'll agree, this is still a very cute picture and the boys look utterly adorable, despite little Isaah's eyes trailing off to the right of the lens.

Ok so there were a few reasons for selecting these images to show you today. Obviously they are super cute kids and they deserve to be showcased, but I just wanted to get the message across that sometimes the imperfect pictures turn out to be the ones you love the most. Kids aren't robots. They don't march to anybody else's drum but their own and often expecting them to do exactly as they are asked in such a pressured environment is too much. Photographers will always do their best to snap the best possible image of your children and deliver the best quality they possibly can, but it doesn't always mean it will be a standard smiley shot - these images are my best examples of how great, a less than perfect scenario, can turn out in a photograph. 

Hope you enjoyed looking at these ones as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Take care lovelies. x

No comments:

Post a Comment