Thursday, 13 March 2014

Your idea of "Inspiration" is very different from mine!!!



Hey lovely people!

This post is the result of a recent post I had the displeasure of reading on my Facebook. The age old debate of fat vs. skinny. It angered me so much that it ended up being all I could think about.

So, the post that offended me, was basically a photograph of a fit young lady working out with the words "Work For It" written across the bottom of the photo. That's fair enough... And some would definitely find that inspirational. Some would even share the image themselves, myself included. However, the person who posted it then wrote above it "One for all you chunky ladies"... Yep... this is seriously what they wrote!!!

Livid doesn't even describe how I felt when I read that. Especially because I know for a fact that said person is in a position to heavily influence my younger sisters... beautiful young girls who already have major insecurities about their weight.

So after voicing my opinion to said person on the matter, it got me thinking... When are people going to realise that their words are hurtful? When are people going to realise that their opinions on the way a person should look are subjective? People come in all shapes and sizes and just because one small minded person thinks that women should look a certain way doesn't mean they're right!

Let me be clear, I am not a skinny or thin person. I am very aware of the fact that I am overweight. This has been a problem for years, and admittedly I am often unhappy with the way I look. However the difference between myself and the average 16 year old girl (aside from the age difference) is that I am generally quite a confident person, who over the years has let go of a lot of the insecurities I have about my weight. But not every girl has the confidence that I have. This is where the worry begins.


It worries me because I know how it affects my sisters. They often feel overwhelmed by how high the bar is set by celebrities... But the difference in that scenario is that there is a safe boundary that exists there due to the fact that technically we don't see that as "real life". You can separate yourself from the famous faces and bodies you see on TV. But when people actually connected to your life start adding the pressure by saying these things out loud and on social platforms like Facebook, I think we're in real danger of setting too high a standard on our vulnerable youngsters. Simply put, we are setting the kids of this generation up to fail... And to feel terrible about themselves as an added bonus. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not encouraging destructive lifestyles and unhealthy life choices. I do believe that we should all eat the proper foods and exercise as much as we can... But if a person falls down in either of these areas, do they deserve to be shamed because of it? 


So I will end this post with this, my opinion, which of course is a subjective one.


  • I believe that everybody is a beautiful person regardless of their looks, their weight, their skin colour. If they are good people then they are beautiful people.
  • I believe that people should look after themselves and should aspire to be the best version of themselves that they can.
  • I believe that people like myself who are overweight should choose to the best of their ability to lead a healthy life.
  • I believe that individuals who are subjected to negative narrow-minded comments from negative and narrow-minded people should simply feel sorry for those people... they have nothing better to do with their lives than bring people down and fill the world with negativity. These people are a waste of time and energy.
  • Finally... and I think most importantly, I believe that people who, like myself, are sometimes unhappy with their weight (whatever weight that might be), should stand up, look in the mirror and tell themselves they are beautiful... Over and over again until they believe it. It is simply the truth!



Don't ever let anyone ever make you feel like you are anything less than amazing... 

Take care lovelies. x


P.S I just wanted to share a few photos of super sexy women, who are bigger than society would deem "average" sized... But are gorgeous and confident about who they are! 





No comments:

Post a Comment